How to use CCleaner
One of the best utilities for cleaning your PC from junk and trash is CCleaner, developed by British company Piriform. With several useful non-alternative features embedded, CCleaner presents the abilities to keep registry and file system clean and fresh, which reflects on the overall system performance and speed. Making just couple of clicks, you will be able to get rid of unneeded obsolete stuff at once, that immediately makes influence on the OS stability and operations. In this article I will describe in details how to use CCleaner on the ordinary basis, how to apply its functions and abilities to clean the system from old file objects and entries.
It’s absolutely elementary to use the app. There are several categories, which you can use in the application: cleaner, registry, tools, options and upgrade. At first, I tell a few words about the first tab, - cleaner. It allows to get rid of browser cache, history, cookies, recently typed URLs, and other objects. In addition to browser junk, the Cleaner feature allows to remove such obsolete Explorer and OS entries, as recent documents, thumbnail cache, temporary files, memory dumps, windows log files and others. If you want to make preliminary analysis before running the cleaning routine, set the appropriate checkboxes next to the items you want to analyze and click the Analyze button in the bottom part of the main form.
After pressing the mentioned button, the analysis routine will start, which will check whether your PC has obsolete entries for removing and will represent detailed information about them. You should wait the period from several seconds to 10-20 minutes depending on the quantity of options you have defined. After the specified period the detailed information form will appear, where you can clearly see, how much space will be freed during the cleaning phase itself.
When analysis is completed, use “Run Cleaner” button, and all the changes regarding cleaning of the hard disk will be applied. As a result, you will get a totally fresh and clean operational system, and that will definitely reflect on the speed of your work.
Next tab “Registry” is designed to fix the registry incorrect issues. In the same manner, as on the previous tab, you should mark the appropriate options of the menu with checkboxes, after which just click the “Scan for Issues” button.
After the defined button is pressed, on the screen the notification appears, which suggests you to backup the changes to the registry before the cleaning procedure. If you are worrying that the performed changes will result to the disfunction of the OS, agree to backup the planned to drop entries, save the reg-file with old registry values on the hard disk and proceed further.
That was the primary CCleaner functionality description. Now I will briefly describe the additional options, which the utility is empowered with. They are all located in the Tools category:
- Uninstall. The exchange feature to standard “Remove a program” functionality. In addition to ordinary Windows programs, you may delete the internal Windows modules like Calculator, Alarms,Clock, Mail and Calendar, Maps and others
- Startup. The customization of the entries, dedicated to automatic running together with the Windows startup. If you don’t wish to delete the entries forever, you may simply turn them off without deletion. The impact will be the same, with the only condition, that any moment you may bring ‘em back to “On” state
- Browser Plugins. In here you may delete or simply disable the add-ons for all the popular web-browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. All the navigators’ options are divided onto distinct tabs so you won’t get lost in the variety of the features
- Disk Analyzer. This tool doesn’t delete anything and is embedded only for informational purposes. With its assistance you may get the information regarding how much space do video, audio-files, pictures and documents occupy on the disk
- Duplicate Finder. As it is stated in the module title, Duplicate Finder allows to find the copies of the files considering parameters specified in the settings
- System Restore. Allows to manage the active system restore points, created either manually or automatically
- Drive Wiper. Allows to erase the contents or free space on the drive in order to prevent restoration of the information in the future.
All the mentioned modules work without any limitations in the free version of CCleaner. Thus, you may freely use them according to your needs and preferences.
On this note the brief review, how CCleaner works, comes to conclusion. The variety of features in the app is very wide, so for sure you will find something that interests you and fits you well.